Jan 2012

First Steps

Over the Christmas break I made a couple of milestones.

1. I finally decided on the data structure. It’s a single plist Dictionary with two keyed entries, events and lists. Events is an array of Dictionaries with keyed arrays for each entry subcategory (thus allowing multiple entries in each subcategory in each event). Lists is a keyed list of arrays, holding the picker palette for each event subcategory. I populated the plist lists category and added manually 3 test events.

2. I produced the top level views complete with both navigation bar and tool bar with associated icons.

Pasted Graphic

I also designed the app icon:
Picture-Taker-VuSnBY

The first two weeks of the year have been spent with the Edit Event subview of the diary. This has been much more scratchy than I’d hoped with a day wasted with the app crashing with no error report when adding array items to an array. It turns out you can’t add NSStrings and NSMutableStrings to the same array (in fact the horrible truth is a bit more complicated - you can add exactly one NSMutableString to an array of NSStrings but that has to be the last item). The good news is that I figured it out eventually and the event detail now displays fine, although truthfully, I’m not all that happy with the look:

Pasted Graphic 1

The next step is the editable pickers for each item...